3.14.2013

Lunch @ 226 - Genius Roll Ups

*****This post was scheduled for 3/11 but was delayed due to an internet outage.  Thanks for waiting!****

Stop what you're doing.  Read the rest of this post.  No, skip reading and scroll down to the instructions for making the most successful lunches I've packed for my kids in as long as I can remember.  Well, at least since these.   In fact, I'll skip the post and just give you the goods.  Nobody wants to read on a Thursday.  I just made that up, but it seems logical and like there is probably some scientific research to support it.  I'll look into it.

Go pack lunch.  Right nowish would be greaaaaat.





Banana Nut Butter Roll Ups - I'm going to skip measurements because I think you all are super smart.

1 whole wheat tortilla
any kind of nut butter, crunchy or smooth
1 banana
honey
cinnamon

Spread a few spoonfuls of nut butter on half of the tortilla.  Drizzle the nut butter with a little honey and a few shakes of cinnamon.  Place the banana towards the UNpeanut buttered side of the tortilla and roll it up, gently and tightly.  The peanut butter will help to keep it rolled.  

Now, slice off the uneven ends and put aside for a snack.  Slice the rest of the roll in one inch segments (serrated knife works best).  Admire your adorable handiwork and put in your child's lunch container.  Expect that it will be empty when they return.





Cucumber Cream Cheese Roll Ups

1 whole wheat tortilla
cream cheese*
1 1/2 Persian cucumbers
a small handful of alfalfa sprouts
salt and pepper, to taste

Spread a few spoonfuls of cream cheese on 3/4 of the tortilla.  Place the cucumber and 1/2 (I should have added 1/2 to mine.  I had a lot of empty tortilla leftover.  I don't want that for you) at the UNcream cheesed end and add the alfalfa sprouts right up next to it.  Sprinkle the whole thing with a little salt and pepper.

Roll up, gently and tightly, letting the cream cheese "glue" the roll shut.  Slice off the uneven ends and set aside for a snack.  Slice the rest of the roll into one inch pieces (serrated knife works best).  Pack 'em up in lunch containers.

*you can use Tofutti if you're looking for a dairy free option.  And, I'm thinking hummus would also work, but I haven't tried it yet.  If you do, report back!

No comments:

Post a Comment